Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Curfew...

now don't get me wrong I'm all for curfews. But Sheffield, AL just made one for 19 year olds and younger. My sister was married at 18. I went off to college at 17. I think 19 is a little old to be telling what time to be in. I think this one is missing the mark. We'll see if it gets revised or just thrown out.

Here is the news clip. "SHEFFIELD, AL (WAFF) - Teenagers in Sheffield are now going to have to be aware of what time it is. A curfew has now been set, and if you do not obey you could be paying a hefty price.

If you are 19-years-old or younger, you had better be off the streets of Sheffield at a certain time. If not, Sheffield Police can write you a citation.

"When I was that age I had a curfew," said Ian Sanford, Sheffield Mayor. "The city didn't impose it, my parents imposed it. It doesn't seem many are doing that."

Sheffield City Council members heard concerns from the police chief about too many juveniles hanging out at late hours, so a curfew ordinance was introduced and approved.

During the school year, anyone under 19 has to be in by 10 Sunday through Monday, and 11 on Friday and Saturday. Over the summer, the curfew will be 11 o'clock 7 days a week.

The curfew will not affect teenagers who have to go to work.

The new curfew has gotten mixed reaction from residents.

"If you are 18 or 19, you're old enough to serve the country," said Chris Mullins, a Sheffield resident. "I don't think you should have a curfew."

"It might be alright for teenagers out of school to be out at 11 o'clock," said Sheffield resident Martha Keck. "It's very tempting to get into trouble."

Another concern is if officers will be able to enforce the curfew.

"They are not going to devote most of their time trying to search down violators of this, but if they do find them they will be cited," said Sanford.

Parents are not off the hook either. If their child gets more than three citations, they will also be penalized.

Those who break the curfew could face up to a $500 fine. The curfew begins Tuesday."

2 comments:

the mccann clan said...

Crazy small towns... not that I'm not also in favor of parent imposed curfews, when necessary, but this just seems a bit excessive to me. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought parenting was for the parents.

Lynnea said...

Ask Josh about this. His town had a curfew. I think it was under 18--AL always has minor under 19 so that didn't surprise me.

North Little Rock is a pretty big town, They still have it.